International Employment Law

International Employment Law

Norway’s membership in the EEA means that Norwegian immigration regulations generally comply with the regulations within the EU. Norway has implemented EU Directive 2004/38/EC, regarding the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the member states. Norway has also implemented the Posted Workers Directive (96/71/EC).

International companies posting non-Norwegian nationals in Norway should observe the following key aspects of Norwegian immigration regulations and policies:

  • As a main rule employees need a residence permit to work in Norway
  • Citizen of EU / EEA / EFTA countries, do not need a residence permit, but must register with the local police for work beyond three months
  • For citizens outside the EU / EEA / EFTA area there are different types of residence permits for work. The “skilled workers” permit is often used and can typically be obtained with a university degree or with other special qualifications
  • Skilled workers employed by a foreign enterprise providing services in Norway, can be granted a residence permit
  • A worker may enter Norway and start working before the application has been processed if the employer/client in Norway make use of the early employment scheme
  • If a residency permit for work application is sufficiently prepared and submitted to the Service Centre for Foreign Workers, an application will normally be processed within ten days
  • Homble Olsby provides cost efficient legal and practical advice on all aspects of immigration law.

Homble Olsby advokatfirma as

Akersgata 28 
0158 Oslo 

Tel (+47) 23 89 75 70
Fax (+47) 23 89 75 71

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sign up for our newsletter

Homble olsby Legal500Homble olsby EuropeChambers2018